The city has signed an agreement that will add 20 public toilets to New York streets. The toilets will be in place by the end of next year, but in case you can't wait until then, a few recommendations:
- Splash (or SBNY) on 17th Street has great stalls that lead to a trough. If it is early and there is no cover, just walk in the door and head immediately down the stairs on the right.
- Filene's Basement on Union Square: Suprisingly still clean, considering the masses in the park across the street.
- The Slide: There is much to say about the open trough-style urinal. Not for the pee-shy.
Places to avoid:
- Starbucks (all locations): If the line doesn't kill you, something growing inside will.
- McDonalds/Wendy's (all): Any place that requires a key to the bathroom expects you to make a purchase.
- Coming 2006, NYC public toilets: Expect these to go from new to nightmarish within 24 hours of opening.
Any additions welcome.